We often receive emails from customers who have purchased a Standalone edition of one of our software products for use on a single computer and then later decide they would like to upgrade to a Network edition for use on multiple computers. One of the questions that comes up is:
Can I upgrade to a server database and copy the data from my existing database to the new one so I don’t lose my existing work and have to enter it again?
Yes – the basic process is to create a backup file of your local database before the switch over, and then restore it to your new server database. Here are the specific steps:
- Backup your local database (menu option: File –> Backup). This will create a compressed backup file containing your data.
- Install and configure the remote database server. For instructions, select the link for your product near the top of the follwing page: Database Server Setup Instructions
- Install the network edition of the software on your computer.
- Connect to the remote database server (menu option: Tools –> Database Connection)
- Restore your local database backup copy to the server (menu option: File –> Restore). Select the backup file that you created in Step 1, and then click the Restore button.
- You can then install the network edition on additional user’s computers and connect them to the remote database server (Step 4).
Note: if you are currently licensed for a standalone version of the software only, you will need to purchase an upgrade license key to continue adding new data to the server database. For a link to purchase the upgrade license, contact us through the Support page on our website at www.kzsoftware.com. Let us know which edition you are upgrading from, and we will provide you with a link to purchase an upgrade license.